SUMMARY: The Fair Labor Association (FLA) is seeking to add a Regional Manager for South East Asia to its team. The Regional Manager will be the FLA’s key driver of the organization’s activities in Vietnam and the region. Reporting to the Chief of Accountability & Innovation, the incumbent oversees and implements the FLA due diligence activities, leads stakeholder engagement, and provides technical support to FLA Affiliates.
• Accountability (40%)
o Support the FLA’s accreditation program by evaluating the labor compliance programs of affiliates against FLA requirements. This will involve assessing and responding to company compliance data either by conducting field visits or reviewing documents.
o Contribute to comprehensive written reports to affiliates, senior staff and the FLA Board, including primary drafting of accreditation reports. o Support and supervise external service providers as they conduct FLA assessments to ensure they are completed according to FLA standards (content, quality, workflow and timing). Lead assessments when required. o Provide insight to assessment findings and conclusions as needed.
• Continuous Improvement (20%) o Actively contribute to the development and enhancement of the overall company-level due diligence program, including its policies, procedures, methodology and tools. o Conduct quality review of audit reports and contribute to the timely and efficient completion of such quality reviews.
o Provide trainings on assessment skills and practices to internal assessors and external service providers; evaluate assessors for potential accreditation. o Collaborate with all stakeholders to support remediation initiatives.
• Stakeholder Engagement (20%) o Develop working relationships with relevant labor rights organizations and other civil society organizations in the region. o Contribute to completion of FLA grievance investigations as initiated through the third-party complaints process. o Facilitate meetings and trainings and represent the FLA at meetings and professional gatherings, as appropriate. • Operational Management Responsibilities (20%) o Effectively supervise, train, and evaluate the external service providers in the region. Work with assigned staff to correct deficiencies and recommend and implement corrective action. o Keep apprised of labor-related developments in the region, including local labor laws and regulations as well as developments and emerging issues related to farms, factories and FLA affiliates sourcing in the region.
OTHER DUTIES • Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS/ABILITIES: • Strong commitment to the mission of the FLA to improve the lives of workers in global supply chains • Ability to execute organizational objectives while balancing priorities and given resource parameters • Excellent analytical capacity to contribute to the analysis, evaluation and enhancements to the FLA’s workplace-level and company-level due diligence programs • Ability to manage work independently, with a high level of independence and judgment • Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment • Demonstrated initiative and reliability • Discretion, proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters • Diplomacy and negotiation skills
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• At least seven years of experience in social compliance or supply chain sustainability for a major brand and direct experience working with factories • Minimum under-graduate degree in law, sociology, human resource management, industrial relations or another relevant field • Familiarity with labor codes of conduct, ILO Conventions, and local labor laws and regulations • SA8000 Auditor or ISO 900x certificate (optional) • Understanding of the production process for apparel, textile, and footwear; understanding of agriculture supply chains a plus • Experience managing teams • Experience in writing various types of reports • Familiarity with MS Office software and iOS preferred • Excellent command of English as well as a second language (Vietnamese or other regional language in South East Asia)
• Extensive travel of up to 50% throughout the region
• Incumbent must be legally entitled to work in Vietnam